Monday, September 15, 2008

LUW Conference 2008

By Heather Moore



This past weekend, Josi and I attended the League of Utah Writers Round-up Conference. It was a lot of fun and we took tons of notes! So prepare yourselves . . . The most amazing thing I heard was about perseverence. The authors who were there presenting talked about how important it is to get feedback on your work, then to submit . . . and keep submitting! It is hard to break into the publishing world, but it's very possible.

And of course, I always recommend writers, beginners or experts, to attend Writer's Conferences. Networking is just as important as learning to better your craft. One of the presenters (Elizabeth Lyon) talked about how writing is an art form. But it's unique in the fact that we don't have a visual display like an artist. In fact, not many people will see it unless it becomes published. She said that if you have something that you aren't able to get published, then consider having a POD book (point on demand) printed. That way, you will still have your piece of art accessible. Something to think about.

Maybe I'll re-edit those dusty manuscripts and put them in art form :)

Oh yeah, and Josi had a new book come out last week, Her Good Name. It's a great suspense novel based on identity theft. It's silly not to mention this on our writing and editing blog. Congrats Josi!

3 comments:

Julie Wright said...

I am still so bummed that I couldn't go, but I'm glad you guys took notes. Congratulations on one of the best books I've read all year Josi!

Melanie Jacobson said...

I mean this only in the most professional sense, but....look how cute you guys are!

Josi said...

Ah, well, I'm happy to take it any way you say it! Thanks Melanie--and Julie.