Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Spot Check

by Heather Moore


So, how is everyone's summer going? What are you working on?

I'm writing a new book this summer (well, I started in March), so it's been very interesting. In the past I haven't committed to a serious writing project in the summer.

My goal is 2,000 words a day, and for the most part it's been doable. If the day is more busy than usual, then I get up early, if not, then I can usually get in a couple of hours in the afternoons. I've found that I have to seriously limit blog-surfing in order to make true progress :-) Although, I can't really resist all of the time, especially when posts like this pop up from Janet Reid, Literary Agent.

What are your tricks for finding time for summer writing?

2 comments:

Curtis Moser said...

There are no tricks for me. It's a grind no matter the season, but it is my chosen path, for better or worse, and I wouldn't want it any other way. I simply have to force myself to write one good sentence after another until I see progress. It is often tedious. It is often brutally slow. But it makes me happy, so I find time for it every single day.

Heather Moore said...

Very true, Curtis. Sometimes I'll start writing and fly through 2 or 3 pages, other times I have to tell myself--just one more sentence.