Friday, February 24, 2017

The PERFECT Writing Quote

A popular post from March 2009

By Josi S. Kilpack

I love writing quotes and always tell myself I'm going to save them and have hundreds of them to look through at any given time. Sadly, this promise to myself is often lumped into the same category of "I will not eat sugar today" which really means "WHERE'S THE SUGAR!" and "Today, I'm going to do nothing but write." which really means "I'm going to feel bad about not writing, but at least my toilets will be clean." Therefore, I have no document full of writing quotes. But today I am writing and I wanted a quote to inspire me. I considered this one:


Writing is a lonely job, unless you're a drinker, in which case you always have a friend within reach. --Emilio Estivez

Unfortunately, I don't drink, hence I am lonely and this quote makes me feel worse. On to the next option:

For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can. --Ernest Hemingway

No kidding! But still not exactly what I'm looking for.

And all writing is creating or spinning dreams for other people so they won't have to bother doing it themselves. --Beth Henley

I don't know who Beth is, but now I'm depressed.

A young musician plays scales in his room and only bores his family. A beginning writer, on the other hand, sometimes has the misfortune of getting into print. --Marguerite Yourcenar

Let that further convince you to never read MY first book:

"The ill and unfit choice of words wonderfully obstructs the understanding." -Francis Bacon

Uh, what? I'm going to have to keep looking. Meanwhile, which of these three best describe you today?


"I think I did pretty well, considering I started out with nothing but a bunch of blank paper." -Steve Martin

"By writing much, one learns to write well." -Robert Southey

"There is no great writing, only great rewriting." -Justice Brandeis

"I have been successful probably because I have always realized that I knew nothing about writing and have merely tried to tell an interesting story entertainingly." -Edgar Rice Burroughs




8 comments:

Don said...

Great stuff, Josi. I'll pick the one about rewriting (which is what I'm supposed to be doing in the morning lately, but haven't been - sigh.)

Laura said...

You're right. The last few quotes made me smile... considering I started out with a bunch of blank paper. It does make it seem like I've done something productive, even if it was stealing someone's ability to dream or boring them, or maybe even obstructing their understanding.
I liked the one about realizing that you don't know anything about writing, so instead you tell a story. That's all the best do anyway. Thanks for the thoughts, and I hope it gave you a lift too!

Julie Wright said...

Yeah . . . no one better ever read my first *two* books! I like the quote from steve martin on the starting with blank paper.

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

You hit the nail on the head, darlin.

I am glad that I'm not the only one to feel this way! It's good to know I'm not alone with just my trusty bottle of wine! he he

susette said...

I'm coming over from Mormon Mommy Blogs, asking for your help. I am in the running for a round trip airfare paid ticket to Connecticut, to meet a friend I became acquainted with through blogging. She is a super fun person and is holding this contest. I entered a funny story titled "Grapejuice Floaties, Now Marry Me." The person whose story receives the most votes will win a trip to meet this generous lady, whom I'm hoping to meet. The voting ends tonight-midnight. I used to be ahead but there is a story coming up from behind out of nowhere, and it's a tight race now. I would so much appreciate your help. Her blog is www.becausemomsaidso.blogspot.com and the voting is on the sidebar on the right. "Grapejuice, Floaties" Just go there and cast a vote for me, please. Thanks so much-you're awesome! ♥♥
YOUR VOTE REALLY WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Fabulous selection!

It would be tempting to self-publish a little quote book of one's favourites to keep on hand for inspiration.

Jenn Adams said...

Love this post! You made me laugh out loud. I have read some /really/ depressing writing quotes myself.

But, there are some winners out there as well.

My favorite was Robert Southey's. If you read my blog post from today, I think you'll see why. I have written much. A lot of not much, though, sometimes. :) But I do feel that the more I write, the better my writing gets. I'm to the point now that I feel like it's not all complete garbage. So it's a good thing. :)

Custom Papers Writing said...

Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.