By Heather Moore
Should you start a blog even if you aren’t published yet? If you write, you are a writer. And blogging is just that: writing. Short answer: YES. Start a blog.
Here are some tips that will make the process easier.
1. Write down several names for your blog-to-be.
2. Log onto blogger.com and follow the easy set-up instructions.
3. Keep your blogs to three or four paragraphs. There’s nothing more boring than a very long-winded blog. You’ll be sure to lose readers fast.
4. Don’t name drop. This includes naming personal friends, children, spouses, or that agent who was a fool to reject you.
5. Write with a purpose. Blogging is not the same as journaling. We don’t need to know how many times you were up in the night.
6. Keep it varied and interesting. Chronicling your cat’s daily escapades will become too tedious for others to read.
7. Read other blogs by agents, editors, writers. You’ll be surprised how much you can learn.
8. Most of all be yourself. Let your personality shine through. Your blog doesn’t have to be perfectly edited, but take care to produce something intelligible.
Writing a blog probably won’t increase your chances of getting published, but it’s great writing practice and gives you a forum to voice your opinion on what matters to you.
Finally, have fun with it. Just don’t say something that you’ll regret later when you are a famous author.